2017 Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival
Rules on Competition
The Rules are applied to all films applying for the 2017 Golden Kapok Award Competition that to be held during Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival (“GZDOC”).
GZDOC Golden Kapok Award Competition, which under the principle of international friendship and cultural exchange, focuses on screening high-quality documentary films and discovering pioneering documentarians under the purpose of promoting international cooperation and exchanges in documentary films, promoting the development of documentary film industry and highlighting the values of excellent documentary films.
Article 1 Application Conditions
1.Only finished documentary films are acceptable. Those that are still in investigation, shooting or post production phases will be refused.
2. No entry theme restriction.
3. No ceiling for the number of entries.
4. Documentary films can apply for competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.
5. No application fee.
6. No entry shall be found with pornography, violence and/or racial discrimination elements; nor shall they conflict with the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China.
Article 2 Running Time and Subtitles
Short: no longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Feature: longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Series: in three episodes (sets) or more that are inter-related.
For films that contain MANDARINE dialogues, subtitle is not required (provision of subtitle in English is subject to further notice);
For films that contain dialogues in Chinese minority languages or dialects, the complete Chinese subtitle shall be embedded (provision of subtitle in English is subject to further notice)；
For films contain NON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English), the complete English subtitle shall be embedded.
Article 3 Application Deadline
1.Online application system will be accessible for a long period,but only those entries meeting the following requirements will be accepted by the General Office of the Organizing Committee (the “OC”).
2.Competition application deadline: August 30, 2017 (the online GZDOC Film Entry Form shall be submitted before this date); application materials shall be RECEIVE through mail to the OC by August 30, 2017.
3.Films applying for 2017 Golden Kapok Awards shall be produced no earlier than January 2015 and no later than August 2017. And GZDOC will present those meeting the requirements to the panel for appraisal.
Article 4 Application Process
ALL applicants shall go through the following:
1.Fully completing the online Entry Form and selecting competition. (Documentary films can apply for competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.)
2. Uploading the following materials:
(1) Film stills in JPG format (pixel no less than 300 dpi; no less than 1Mb);
(2) Films in NON-MANDARINE dialogues shall be uploaded subtitle script or subtitle file. Requirements for subtitle script：word or text format.
Requirements for subtitle file: SRT or ASS format.
3. Sending the following materials through mail:
(1) Film in MP4 / MOV format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p) version is preferred, English subtitle is needed if the film contains NON-MANDARIN dialogues (including English);
(2) Trailer (less than 3 minutes) in MP4 format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p)version is preferred, English subtitle is needed if the film contains NON-MANDARIN dialogues (including English);
Submission Method 1
Mail to the OC copies of application materials in DVD/USB along with the film title and contact information.
Address: Guangdong Province, Guangzhou, Tianhe District
Tianhe NorthRoad 689, No.1701
Contacts: Mr. Ding Zhizhao
Zip code: 510630
(If by means of international delivery, please ensure that the parcel is marked “)