2018 Guangzhou International DocumentaryFilm Festival
Rules on Competition
The Rules are applied to allfilms applying for the 2018 Golden Kapok Award Competition that to be heldduring Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival (“GZDOC”).
GZDOC Golden Kapok AwardCompetition, which under the principle of international friendship and culturalexchange, focuses on screening high-quality documentary films and discoveringpioneering documentarians under the purpose of promoting international cooperationand exchanges in documentary films, promoting the development of documentaryfilm industry and highlighting the values of excellent documentary films，and identificating newesttalented documentary producers.
Article 1 Application Conditions
1.Only finished documentaryfilms are acceptable. Those that are still in investigation, shooting orpostproduction phases will be refused.
2. No entry theme restriction.
3. No ceiling for the numberof entries.
4. Documentary films can apply for competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.
5. No application fee.
6. No entry shall be foundwith pornography, violence and/or racial discrimination elements; nor shallthey conflict with the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China.
Article 2 Running Timeand Subtitles
Short: no longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Feature: longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Series: in three episodes (sets) or more that are inter-related.
For films that contain MANDARINE dialogues, subtitle is not required (provision of subtitle in English issubject to further notice);
For films that contain dialogues inChinese minority languages or dialects, thecomplete Chinese subtitle shall be embedded (provision of subtitle in Englishis subject to further notice)；
For films contain NON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English), the complete English subtitle shall be embedded.
Article 3 ApplicationDeadline
1. Online application system will be accessible for a long period,but only those entries meeting the following requirements will be accepted bythe General Office of the Organizing Committee (the “OC”).
2.Competition application deadline: August 31, 2018 (the online GZDOC Film Entry Form shall be submitted before this date);application materials shall be RECEIVE through mail to the OC by August31, 2018.
3.Filmsapplying for 2018 Golden Kapok Awards shall be produced no earlier thanJanuary 2016 and no later than August 2018. And GZDOC will presentthose meeting the requirements to the panel for appraisal.
Article 4 Application Process
ALL applicants shall go through the following:
1.Fully completing the onlineEntry Form and selecting options based on needs. (Documentaryfilms can apply for competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.)
2. Uploading the followingmaterials:
(1) 1-3 Film stills，posters in JPG format (pixel no less than 300 dpi;no less than 1Mb);
(2) Films in NON-MANDARINEdialogues shall be uploaded subtitle script or subtitle file. Requirements for subtitle script：word or text format.
Requirements for subtitle file：SRT or ASS format.
3. Sending the followingmaterials through mail:
(1) Film in MP4 / MOV format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p) version ispreferred, English subtitle is needed if the film contains NON-MANDARINEdialogues (including English);
(2) Trailer (less than 3 minutes) in MP4 format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p)version is preferred, English subtitle is needed if the film containsNON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English);
Submission Method 1
Mail to the OC copies of application materials in DVD/USBalong with the film title and contact information.
Address: Room 3303, No.76, West Huangpu Avenue, TianheDistrict, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province
Contacts: Mr. Ding Zhizhao
Zip code: 510630
Submission Method 2
Upload application materials into Cloud Storage and sendthe download link and password to firstname.lastname@example.org along with film titleand contact information.
4.The application issuccessful upon receiving a notification e-mail from the OC, otherwise, theapplication process is not finished due to incomplete submission materials,film arrival failure or download failure.
5.Waitingfor further notice from the OC.
6.The OC may contact theapplicant for additional materials if necessary.
7.Please be noted thatapplication with insufficient materials is null.
Article 5 MaterialDelivery
1.All application materialsrequired (film, trailer) shall be sent to the address below before deadline:
General Office of the Organizing Committee of GZDOC
Room 3303, No.76, WestHuangpu Avenue, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
Contacts: Mr. Ding Zhizhao
Zip Code: 510630
2. If by means ofinternational delivery, please ensure that the parcel is marked “For Cultural Purpose Only” and “No CommercialValue”.
3. The applicant must ensurethat all deliveries are prepaid and customs levies are settled, otherwise theOC has the right to reject. Personal delivery is acceptable (please contact theGeneral Office in prior for business hours).
4.All application materialswill be kept by the OC for archiving. Please ensure that you have backups.
5.Please be noted that the OCwill not bear the costs for mail or insurance of the application materials, norbe responsible for any loss, damage of the materials during the process ofdelivery or the loss, error or damage of the materials attributable to Forcemajeure.
Article 6 Procedures
1.The GoldenKapok Award Competition will be determined after the preselection, reviewappraisal and final appraisal. The final results will beannounced at the GZDOC closing ceremony.
2. Review stage:
(1) Each film qualified to theReview will be given a Certificate (electronic) which will be sent to theContact Person through email.
3. Finalappraisal stage:
(1) Films embedded with bothChinese and English subtitles might be required by the OC if necessary.
(2) Each film qualified to theFinal Appraisal will be given a Certificate (hardcopy) which will be sent tothe Contact Person through express delivery.
(3) The OC will invite twomain framers to GZDOC and relevant activities to be held in Guangzhou (see theInvitation Letter and attachments for reception details);
(4) The OC is entitled tothree offline screening (from December 1 to December 20, 2018) of the filmduring GZDOC.
(1) Each award-winning filmwill be given a Certificate (hardcopy) and a trophy which will be granted at theGZDOC closing ceremony.
(2) The OC is entitled to twooffline screening (from December 16, 2018 to January 1, 2019) of the film.
5. Uponreceiving the notice on qualification to the Final Appraisal and havingconfirmed thereby, the applicant shall not withdraw the qualified film for anyreason.
Article 7 Awards
The OC will form Final JuryCommittee of seven experts, well-known directors and producers of thedocumentary field from both home and abroad to determine the winners. GZDOC 2018Golden Kapok Awards will be given to:
1. Best Documentary Feature;
2. JurySpecial Award
3. BestDocumentary Short;
4. BestDocumentary Directing;
5. BestDocumentary Series;
6. Best International Co-production Documentarywith China;
7. Award of Audience's Choice (determinedby online votes);
8. Best Chinese Documentary for InternationalCommunication (determined by data);
9. Best FirstDocumentary Award;
10. 3Special Awards of the Organizing Committee of GZDOC;
Article 8 Statements
(1) Applicant(or applying institution) shall possess the copyright or distribution right ofthe film submitted by him/her, and shall ensure that there is no dispute overcopyright of the film, and the copyrights/authorization of the copyrightowner(s) to use the music, video image and texts contained/used in the film areobtained. Any dispute arose out of or in relation to the copyright of the filmshall be borne by the applicant (or applying institution).
(2)The OC is entitled to use no more than three minutes of serialimages of each film for promotion purposes through TV, cinema, video network orother media.
(3) The OCis entitled to use the application materials, stills, posters and trailers ofeach film to promote GZDOC through presswork, promotional video, cinema, TV,Internet, mobile TV and public areas.
(4) The OCis entitled to duplicate each film exclusive for only archiving other than anycommercial purpose.
(1) All applicants shall strictly abide by theRules on Finished Documentary Film of 2018 Guangzhou International DocumentaryFilm Festival.
(2) GZDOC shall assume no responsibility for anyconsequences arose out of or in relation to any error in submission ofmaterials and/or completion of forms.
(3) If theRules are modified, we will post an announcement on our website. The applicantcan withdraw from the event if he/she thinks the modified clauses areunacceptable by notifying the OC within 10 working days after the announcementis posted. Otherwise, we will deem that the applicant accepts all the modifiedclauses.
(4) Allapplications for the Golden Kapok Awards, Golden Kapok Gallery and DOC Shop tobe held by GZDOC are regarded as agreement to the above provisions and rules.Any dispute hereof shall be subject to the independent jurisdiction of thejudicial authorities of the People’s Republic of China.
(5) The OCreserves all rights to final explanation of the Rules.
(6) The OCreserves all rights to final explanation of all activities.
GeneralOffice of the Organizing Committee of Guangzhou International Documentary FilmFestival
Mr. Ding Zhizhao