Please UPGRADE Your Pass
I. GZDOC International Pitching Session
GZDOC recruits work-in-progress projects for and from global market.
The 20th edition will invite Chinese and international buyers, broadcasters and key players from the industry as the decision makers, in the aims of developing the pre-sale, co-production and commission of documentary projects.
II. Date of Event
III. Qualification Requirements
1. The pitching projects shall be at the stage of either pre-production, shooting or post-production before 2024. The completed films are not qualified for participation.
1) ‘China stories’ Documentary Film
The project pitch shall have distinctive Chinese elements (Either it is shot in China or it is about China, including culture, history, social issues, technology, nature etc.). The documentary length should be at least 40 minutes long.
2) ‘China stories’ Documentary Series
The project pitch shall have distinctive Chinese elements (Either it is shot in China or it is about China, including culture, history, social issues, technology, nature etc.). It should include at least 2 episodes.
3) Greater Bay Area Documentary
The project pitch shall have distinctive Greater Bay Area (GBA) elements (Either it is shot in GBA or it is about GBA, including culture, history, social issues, technology, nature etc.)
4) International Documentary
International projects outside of China (including mainland China,Hong Kong China, Macau China and Taiwan China) and Sino-foreign co-production projects are eligible to apply. No specific requirements about the topics.
IV. Submission Guidance
(i) Submission Deadline
The submission deadline for GZDOC International Pitching Session is 24:00 Sep 20, 2023 (GMT+8). The project and all relevant registration materials shall be submitted online before the deadline. Overdue or project with incomplete materials will not be included in the review process.
(ii) Application process and required materials
1.Please log onto the official website www.gzdoc.cn, click "Registration - Pitch Submit" to complete and submit the online Entry Form.
2. If the following materials cannot be successfully submitted through online registration, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate the pitch title and the applicant’s name, contact information in the email)
(1) Trailer: no more than 3 minutes, MOV format, H264, 1080P and above. Please upload the trailer to the internet (such as Baidu Cloud Disk) and submit the download link and password.
(2) 2 stills in JPG format, pixel no less than 300 DPI.
(3) Additional information about the pitch (if any): The applicant could also submit production proposal, shooting outline, original ideas for the pitch, the visual style, the artistic features, the detailed budget, and the link of the main production crews’ bios and their completed works to OC by mail for further reference.
[Note: All registration information and materials (except for additional information) must be bilingual in English and Chinese.]
(iii) Registration fee
(iv) The use of information and application materials
1. Please fill in entry form correctly and completely. The information in the form will be used and published in the process of pre-selection, evaluation and final announcement. If there is any information wrong or missing, the responsibility will be borne by the applicant.
2. The follow-up notification related to preselection and evaluation will be delivered to the contact of applicant first. Please keep the call and the mailbox accessible.
(v) Update/Supplement of registration information and application materials
1. If applicants hope to update information or materials after submission, please send an email to email@example.com and explain the update in detail. After OC’s review and approval, the update will be completed.
2. If there are any follow-up materials (such as posters, stills, promotional materials, awards, etc.), please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a detailed explanation.
3. If the submitted trailer is the version in post production, the applicant can contact email@example.com to know the time limit for replacement.
(vi) Copyright Statement
Applicant (or organisation) shall own the copyrights or distribution rights of the film submitted by him/her; shall ensure that there is no dispute over copyright of the film; guarantee it has acquired the copyrights/authorizations from the copyright owners for the music, video, image and text contained and used in the films; ensure the original contents in the film do not violate the copyrights or legal rights of any other third parties. Any disputes, damages or compensations arising out of or in relation to the copyright infringement of the film shall be borne by its applicant (and applying company).
V. Evaluation process
The entries will be screened for the initial evaluation, semi-final evaluation and final evaluation. They will be reviewed and selected by the Selection Committee and Decision Makers. The OC is responsible for inviting professionals for the initial Selection committee, the Semi-final Selection committee, and Decision Makers.
1. The initial Selection committee is responsible for selecting the semi-finalists from all the submissions. The list of semi-finalists will be announced on the official website and WeChat official account in early November. *The date of announcement is subject to change.
2. The Semi-final Decision Makers are responsible for selecting the finalists from the semi-finalists. The list of finalists will be announced on the official website and WeChat official account in mid-November. *The date of announcement is subject to change.
3. The winners will be selected by Decision Makers from finalists and will be announced during the 20th GZDOC.
VI. Notice to Finalists
1. The applicants shall confirm their participation in the final evaluation with the OC within five working days after receiving the notification (email) from the OC. Once the applicants confirm the participation, they cannot withdraw for any reasons.
2. The finalists shall, at the request of the OC, submit all necessary information and materials for their pitching projects before the deadline specified in the OC’s notice to finalists.
3. Once a pitch is selected, the application information and material submitted online and offline might be presented on the documentary festival brochure, official website, or for online and offline media promotion events. The OC is entitled to edit and publicly use the materials, including entry information, posters, stills, trailers and trailers on GZDOC’s official channels. Meanwhile, the OC has the right to provide application information and material submitted to the Selection Committee and Decision Makers for the use of evaluation.
4. Each finalist team must ensure that 1-2 main creators attend the GZDOC International Pitching Session for presentation. Otherwise, it will be deemed as quitting the competition. The finalist qualification will then be given to the candidate next in line.
5. The applicants shall cooperate with the OC for the follow-up in the long run and for later publicity.
6. After the finalists are selected, the OC will provide the GZDOC logos for finalists or winners. The selected pitch and the program produced accordingly must include the GZDOC logos in all its subsequent promotional materials, and it’s strictly forbidden to modify the logo.
7. For the finalists, "GZDOC" or the logo of GZDOC must be included in the opening or closing credits of the completed program. And the shortlisted logo of GZDOC Pitching Session must be included in the promotional poster.
1. Any changes against the regulations will be posted on the "GZDOC-Guidance-Notice " page of the official website (www.gzdoc.cn). The applicant can withdraw from the event if he/she believes the modified clauses are unacceptable by notifying the Organizing Committee within 10 working days after the announcement is posted. Otherwise, it will be deemed that the applicant accepts all the modified clauses.
2. If there were any situations that are not specified above, the OC reserves all rights for the final explanation of the regulations.
3. The applicant signing up for the screening session of 20th GZDOC International Pitching Session should accept all the above terms and conditions. If there is any dispute, it shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of PRC.
General Office of the Organizing Committee of GZDOC
Deputy Director of Copyright & Project Department
Ms. Zhu Jiayi
*If your online registration fails, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org